PIC 101d (intro to C)

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 29 16:16:39 GMT 1998

Simon Bosworth wrote:
> Jack,
> I am quite happy with the CCS compiler, especially for the money.  I do
> wish it would handle 32 bit variables though.
> You can add your own assembly code to work around that however.

Thanks for the info - I'm about ready to plunge in...
Perhaps you would inform me as to the version you have?
I have written them (ITU) for current version numbers and release
dates, and whether support is ongoing for all versions, or just
the Windows version.

Per your earlier post concerning MAP sensors, I have had good
luck with the Motorola MPX5XXX devices, though they can be hard
to get, or outrageously expensive, in small quantities. If I can
help in this regard please let me know.

Considering the code space available now in some 14-bit PICs (8K)
it'd be interesting to attempt an adaptive fuel map scheme -  I've
written BASIC code which generates injector pulse length values
given bore, stroke, rpm, MAP, VE, injector size, and fuel pressure.
It occurs to me that a starting point for your fuel map might be
obtained by monitoring and recording MAP/rpm in the performance
envelope of the carburetted set-up. There are various small,cheap
pocket programmables that are capable of this - In fact the BASIC
program I mention is written for a TI-74, a 64K handheld gizmo.
(I'd have to do an assembler version to obtain sufficient speed for
a real-world application with this platform, but that's do-able).
The program could be easily ported to QuickBasic or C for a laptop.
However generated, the resulting fuel map could then be modified
by the PIC on an ongoing basis.
Easy for me to say!

Anyway, any further input on the CCM compiler greatly appreciated.
My only real misgiving is because I'm eyeing the 17CXXX devices,
which are'nt supported by the CCS compiler. Hmmm. Common sense
will prevail, I think... It could happen.

Regards, Jack