PCMCIA a/d boards

Jay Wallace jwallace at nist.gov
Sun Mar 1 23:14:41 GMT 1998

At 11:26 AM 2/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations for laptop-able a/d boards?  I'd like
>to wire into my car's ECU and sensors to do some data logging.  I'm looking
>for something fairly inexpensive, it needn't have Megahertz range type
>frequency response, but it needs to have at least 16 a/d inputs
>(multiplexed is fine), and preferably some rudimentary software at least
>(to allow me to use it with LabView or something similar).

Zack,

If you can drop the number of channels, a parallel port A/D is a
possibility. There are also serial port A/D's but I think that you
usually have to have a separate power supply. You can do a web
search and find several sources. One that I found is 12 bit but has
only 8 channels:

http://www.bb-elec.com/catalog/dataac/ad1012.html

I don't know how well they work, but they are certainly cheap
enough (~$95.)  I was hoping to use one of these with a 2 or 3 axis
accelerometer to do simultaneous engine parameter and performance
monitoring. If I ever get the time. Sigh.

Jay