Digital Distributorless ignition q's

Marc van der Vossen marc at vdvossen.cistron.nl
Tue Mar 3 14:33:36 GMT 1998

>If you want to go the light route fine, but it's been done before, and
>now all the commercial units I know of use magnets for triggering.
>As I recall the optic units had a problem with reflected light from
>random sources even when it was PWM/Infrared.  Also Oil Contamination/dirt,
>can be cruel.  The only optic ign. stuff I've seen
>used lately is inside the distributor.
>  There are several units using the magnets that you could buy the
>wheel, and sensor from (ie MSD).
>  Cadillac used/uses a DIS for some of it's V-8s.

Thanks to all that replied.
I think at this point I can go two directions.
1. Buy a 60-2 tooth cranktrigger and a 332 for managing it (would be a piece
of cake with a 332, right ?)
2. make my own enclosed optical trigger and go the route like listed on the
site.

Here are a few more questions..
1. what would the price be for a 60-2 cranktrigger and the 332 stuff
compared to DIY trigger and the cheaper processor.
2. Is a 332 capable of an easy way to convert my system to SFI. I was
figuring this way: read injector pulsewidth from ECM and determine the
injection timing and  fire the accordingly. If it wouldn't be too hard to do
then I think it's best to go for the 60-2 trigger for easy upgrading later.
3. Has anybody on this list used his ddi for enginebraking ? I have a friend
who has done this and he said it was working great, but he had 4WD.

Any price indications ?

Thanks in advance.

Marc 'who wonders if a digital spark will ignite his cone-shaped hat better'
van der Vossen
marc at vdvossen.cistron.nl