VSS and freq converter circuit (real long)

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov
Tue Mar 3 21:27:16 GMT 1998

Andris wrote:

<SNIP>

>GM made a piece tha converts the 40 to a 2000 signal? And then I would
>just change the nylon reluctor drive gears in the tranny to get the
>right ratio, right? Where is the DRAC located on the car, and what
>does it look like (Is the DRAC the VSS buffer box?)

     Yup, they sure do. However, it is not as easy as changing a nylon
     reluctor gear....it is metal and it only comes in two versions, 40
     tooth and something else used in 93. What you will probably need to do
     is run the output from the trans into a cyberdyne type box and then
     into the DRAC. Between the two of them, you should get it adjustable
     enough to tweak where you need it.

>Shannen Durphy wrote more on the DRAC
>>5) 91 to present pickup truck has DRAC, (Digital Ratio Adapter Controller),
>>which can be programmed via jumpers to multiply and divide speed signals.
>>DRAC also has outputs for cruise, ABS, and speedo.  If interested, I can
>>furnish some info, especially on programming DRAC.  Speed sensor for this
>>type vehicle is 40 tooth.

>Yes, more info would be good :)

     No doubt...I'd like some info on this as well :)

>Andris
>PS-I ordered the turbos for the IROC yesterday :)

     Yeah...and you almost ordered the T56 as well :)

     FWIW, JTR also does a tailshaft conversion for the T56 for around $300
     that gives you the ability to use T5 speedometer gearsets and a
     mechanical speedo. Obviously, you could always convert to a mechanical
     drive and then add a VSS of your choice :)

     TTYL!

     Larry Kurek