VSS

HeinGer HeinGer at aol.com
Wed Mar 4 04:48:40 GMT 1998

<< 	I was curious what some people have done
 to add VSS output to older cars that didn't have
 them initially.  JTR sells a VSS 'box' that attaches
 i >>

I have a 71 Chevy pickup in which I installed a 91 TBI 350 with 700R-4.  I was
too cheap to buy that JTR unit, so I used a mid 70's Ford cruise control
sender (it goes behind the speedo, inline with the cable), gutted it and
machined an aluminum disc to fit inside, which I painted flat black so that it
had 2 silver spots left, opposite each other.  Then I ground off the end of
the housing which held the magnetic sensor, and slid in an electric eye which
came from (I think) McMaster-Carr.  The 'eye works well on 12V, and gives a
square wave output like a hall effect sensor.
Heinrich Gerhardt