Crank Trigger Signal (was monitoring RPM)

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Wed Mar 4 21:41:44 GMT 1998

> The teeth problem is one, the second is the runout in the ring gears on
> some engines, the third is that the number of teeth on a flywheel may not
> really be what you need, the fourth is that you will need to modify the
> flywheel for the TDC mark if it is not thier, the fifth is that it is
> harder to get at then at the front, you don't have to pull the engine to
> change it, the sixth is that it is pretty easy to pull off the front pully
> and add 1/8" plate. The worst is that you would have to make some spacers
> for the accessories to keep all the belts aligned. And again, you can have
> one made pretty easily in any shape, size, center, number of teeth.

> Just 2 cents, but hey, if you have a car with that type of system, then it
> is a natural, but if not, I tend to think that it would be better to front
> mount or use something in the distributor.

I sure wouldn't want to try to mount the flywheel sensors on an
engine that didn't have them originally.  They have to be pretty close
to the flywheel teeth.

On my car, the distributor would be out since it's driven off the
camshaft which is belt driven... too much slop in the system.

I don't however know how I'd front mount anything on my car either...

Orin.