Ne and Xe lights

Charles cmorris at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 9 14:32:25 GMT 1998

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 05:00:03 -0500, you wrote:

>> Kind of off list but, anybody have an easy test for a neon bulb? (timing
>> light)
>
>Are you sure its neon, and not xenon?  A neon bulb has just 2 leads.  A
>xenen tube has the leads at each end, and a band around the middle with
>the trigger lead.  A xenon tube requires a trigger pulse to make it fire.

	Everyone who replied like this is correct.
But there are old neon lights too... I have a genuine neon light that
belonged to my dad. Just two leads, in series with the #1 plug. I
remember watching him in the 1960's set the timing on the family '62
Chevy - it was so dim that you had to wait until dusk.

-Charles
using a modern Xenon light!