pining,twin plugging,etc...

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Tue Mar 10 17:36:23 GMT 1998

Alain, I believe you are on track.  Two sparks means two flame fronts means
the fuel burns faster means you can start later and still get done in time
which reduces pressure while the piston is still going up.  Compact chambers
with 4 valves and a central spark plug will benefit little.  Large thin
chambers with a plug at the side (Chrysler and Porsche hemi) will benefit a
lot.

In order to make lots of power the engine must 1) flow a lot of air, 2) mix
the air with the correct amount of fuel, 2) compress it a lot, 3) burn it
fast, 4) expand it against a piston.  All of these things must be done well.
Dual plugs address only number 3.

Lots of turbulence also burns it fast.  Burning too fast is not good either,
the engine parts get hammered.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>