Microwaves etc.

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Mar 10 18:21:34 GMT 1998

Octane rating - Refers solely to the autoignition characteristics of a fuel,
has nothing to do with flame speed, temperature, power potential, energy,
etc. yada yada.  See Bruce Hamiltons Gasoline Faqs for complete details.

A good example of a high energy fuel that uses no advance is hydrogen.  Its
flame speed is so fast that no advance is needed to develop MBT with no
negative power.  The same speed that eliminates the need for advance also
consumes the end gas products so fast that detonation doesn't occur. Its
octane is so effectively high that compression ratio's past ridiculous can
be used.

If "microwaves" can speed the flame front without degrading the
auto-ignition characteristics of the fuel, then the timing can be retarded
to TDC or beyond and make more POWER and economy. The fuel will still burn
in a fast controlled manner (I doubt as fast as hydrogen though) and it will
be less likely to detonate because the end gas products are consumed prior
to their detonation.

On a similar note, saw that a university in Texas is researching converting
"star wars" technology (particle beam - I think) to accomplish fast
controlled ignition.

The longest burn time is part throttle cruise mixtures.  The most likely to
detonate times are at near full throttle.  Since detonation is a
time/pressure/temperature phenomena, anything that speeds the combustion
(reduces the time component) reduces the risk of detonation.  All of the
ways microwave, particle beam, multiple plugs etc. that show promise of
reducing the burn time will both increase power and economy.  Reducing burn
time also reduces the formation of pollutants.

Sorry I can't wear a cone-shaped hat - head has too many lumps on it from
having ideas inserted with 10 pound sledge - lesser force not effective.