Combustion chamber shape

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Wed Mar 11 00:45:48 GMT 1998

Joe Boucher wrote:

> > Is there such a thing as a perfect combustion chamber shape?  Maybe for a
> > perfectly consistent fuel?
> >

> This caused me to think about how a burn will happen in a combustion chamber.
> If you provided an ignition source in the middle of a large chamber filled with
> an explosive mixture, it would burn in a hemispherically expanding pattern.  A
> spark plug cannot have it's gap sitting out in the exact middle of a chamber,
> for no other reason than it would become too hot and cause pre-ignition.  Since
> the gas will want to burn hemispherically, a possibly optimum shape would be a
> flat top head and dished piston with the gap just protruding from the top of
> the chamber surface.  The idea is to obtain half of a hemisphere.  This occured
> to me when the article talked about how pop-up pistons are not good because the
> flame front has to travel up and over the piston dome.  This can't be an
> original thought and there are physical problems such as the valve placement
> and bending the manifold passages to flow into this arrangement.
>
> > Is this enough questions?
>
> No
>

> > Shannen
>
> Joe Boucher
> '70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban
> I wore this cone shaped hat into this bar and the officer said .... Um,  He
> said .....
> Oh, the hell with it.
> Forget it

  See mark II Chevy big blocks.  348, 409 had flat heads and the combustion chamber
was built into the block.  It certainly was a strange shape, extending outward from
the cylinder underneath the valves.  Nowhere near hemispherical.

Since a spark is simply a source of energy to get the mixture burning, what else
could we use?  I wonder if there's any possibility that sound energy would work.
Maybe this is where microwaves apply.  Aren't microwaves a form of infra-red
radiation?

Shannen