The 5-Wire Mystery

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Wed Mar 11 07:08:43 GMT 1998

Hey Garfield,

I had no idea that my seemingly useless post was going to get me this
kind of information...maybe I will start posting more useless
information <G>.

> >http://userdata.acd.net/lance/sefi8lo.html
>
> Interesting, vewy interesting. The picture of the O2 sensor is EXACTLY
> that of the NTK 5-wire sensors used on the VX Civics. I mean
> EXACTAMUNDO, right down to the wiring harness, connector, even that
> rubber strain-relief midway the cable. Go to any Honda dealer and ask to
> see the following O2 sensor part #:
>         36531-P07-003
> which is for some models of 92-95 VX Civic, but since there are a couple
> diff. exhaust manifolds, ask for it by part # rather than car yr/model.

Well, I can assure you that the O2 sensor that is the exact one they
sent me for my optional $600.  Maybe they are buying them from Honda
<VBG>.

> Also, since Scott you have one of these FP wide-band options, maybe you
> could say whether the O2 sensor wires directly into the main FP box, or
> if some "special" interface electronics comes with the option, and goes
> between the sensor and the FP's ECU. Hmmm?

In the PF system, everything plugs directly into the ECU with an
FP-supplied harness.  It is very simple with nothing outside of the box
than wires and sensors.  So whatever they are doing that is special WRT
this O2, they are doing within the confines of the ECU and that has a
little special seal that when broken, voids the warrantee...imagine that
<G>.  If it ever gets crashed and broken open, I will be sure and take a
look inside to see what they did, but at this point, can't afford to
peek just out of curiousity.  Of course I can't afford to destroy my
racecar either!

later dates.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man ICQ:8353618
'95 Black Impala SS
'95 Black Impala SS-crashed
'96 Black K3500 Extended Cab Duallie 7.4L Vortec
'94 Ducati 900SS CR