pining,twin plugging,etc...

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Wed Mar 11 09:04:18 GMT 1998

Mike:

> I think the best way would be to use indiviual coils for each plug
> with little of no wire, didn't someone have a coil that plugged directly
> on to the end of a spark plug ?

I have a feeling that SAAB did this, although it could have been Audi or
Alfa... either way it seemed to do the trick.

I looked for the article on twin plugging a head, but could not find it.
 I do remember that it was a success because the pinto's plug
positioning is so bad,  16v heads or heads with inclined valves that
allow a central positioning of the plug will not gain over a single
plug.

How about using the piston as the anode, with a cathode point in the
head TDC, a big ass coil to drive it, and the spark would travel right
through the compressed charge, keep the spark going until the piston
reaches say 5deg BBDC.  Okay so we would have to use some form of
insulation on the bores..

Rob Humphris