Wide Ratio O2 meter

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Thu Mar 12 00:08:32 GMT 1998

> Couple things here. First off, I thot the heater elements had a
> positive/non-linear R that INCREASED with temp. The data above shows
> just the opposite! Harrumpph. Second, something odd about the difficulty
> of measuring the R. Just be measuring/controlling the current, and
> measure the V across the heater; compute the R from that? I must be
> missin sumpin here.

The heater circuit/resistance does not matter. It is the other 2 wires,
the sensor, that we have to measure the internal resistance of without
upsetting signal output.

> I keep reading that sentence above, and thinking, ummm, OK Frank has a
> Bailey meter, but does he have an NTK sensor/interface also, or is he
> saying his Bailley meter was calibrated against an NTK sensor/interface?
> Help me out; english is my second language (fortran was first, I think;
> and yes, I AM a fossil).

I am not very clear-sorry!. My Bailey was calibrated on dyno versus same
Bosch sensor used with a Motec box. Since then I have acquired 2 NTK
sensors and interfaces. Have not used them yet or checked them against
the Bailey.

> >NTK/Honda Sensor
> >There is a SAE paper
> >  but it is pretty general.
>
> Ooooh, could you name names here? Title hints, SAE doc #, anything.

Could not find before but just dug it up. There was a older paper and a
good new one, SAE 920234, called "Universal air/fuel ratio heated exhaust
gas O2 sensor and furthur applications. Like Garfield suggested it is
a pumping cell and has uses in combustion analysis.

> He finishes by telling me I have no business trying to figure this out,
> cuz it's "just a hobby", and it would take me 5 years, anyway! Snee hee
> hee. I almost laughed, but I may wanna try bending his ear again, so I
> demured, discretion bein the better part of valor, and all that, ya
> know.

The 920234 paper would help you. Blow his mind with details- maybe he
will open up.
Regards,

Frank Parker