pining,twin plugging,etc...

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Thu Mar 12 02:29:06 GMT 1998

At 09:16 AM 3/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>A bigger bore is more sensitive to detonation.  Thats why really big engines
>are always diesel.

I'm not sure this is always the case from my own experiences, I have had a
ton of Big Block Chevys, Some small blocks, etc. The ones that were most
prone to detonation were the ones that had the smaller cubes. This may just
relate to a couple of things, but mostly the engine is not working as hard
and thus no detonation. I had a couple of 12:1 427's and about the same
compression in a 454 which just has a longer stroke, and the 427's were
more prone to detonation from my rememberance. The small blocks were way
worse in all cases. I would guess the combustion chamber style has a bit to
do with that too.

Just some comments... I may have 1 cent left of the 2 cents which would let
me purchase another cone shaped hat...

  /\
 /  \
 Sandy