EGT bits

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Thu Mar 12 06:53:10 GMT 1998

Say, whilst we're on the subject of mixture & exhaust gas, etc. I thot
some on the list might be interested in some stuff we found for our
aviation group. For those of you who plan on instrumenting your engines
with EGT also, they are universal sensors on aviation engines, due to
the goodly amount of lead still in std av-gas 100LL (hence, no O2
sensors or closed-loop mixture control). We use EGT to lean to near-peak
at altitude via a manual mixture control. Flintstones technology but
dirt simple, which is what ya want when you're tripping the light
fantastic.

Anyways, there's a nice chip from Analog Devices with just about as
complete a thermocouple interface as you could ask for (handles J or
K-type; sadly not R-type), and also a reference to some thermocouple
bits.

A single-chip complete EGT interface that will allow you to cheaply run
a thermocouple in EACH exhaust outlet at about $20 per cyl. for
electronics. Take a look at Analog Devices part no. AD597 at:
	http://www.analog.com/pdf/ad596_7.pdf
and for inexpensive EGT probes, and everything else needed to wire up
EGT sensors, go to:
	http://www.exhaustgas.com/
and clik on the "Performance Catalog" button, then go to "Sensors". I've
actually seen K-type probes even cheaper, so this isn't the last word. I
think I saw some non-STC'd ones in Chief Airparts' catalog, but I dunno
fersure. To check out thermocouple extension wires, & the correct
connectors to use with thermocouple wiring, clik on the "Industrial
Catalog" button instead. There's even a nice little tutorial on EGT
thermocouples if you're unfamiliar with their unusual wiring issues.

Bon appetit.

Garfield