EGT bits

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Thu Mar 12 15:36:13 GMT 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:27:46 -0600, Joe Boucher
<BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com> wrote:

>How many hours do the egt sensors last?

Golly, good question. I don't recall ever hearing of someone replacing
one "routinely" as a consumable. They go bad every now and then, of
course. So I'd have to guess at least 1000hrs in aircraft use. They're
not usually placed RIGHT at the throat of the belching dragon, but say
4" out. On my Lycoming, they're almost 6" downstream of the exhaust
flange. This is a noProblemo for aviation use, since it's not the
absolute temp you look for so much as peaking, AND of course imbalance
between cylinders.

At any rate, I believe they last as long as O2 sensors, and then some,
maybe.

Garfield