toyota 02 SAE paper

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Thu Mar 12 16:15:07 GMT 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:22:29 +0000, xxalexx at ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Instead of measuring voltage across the electrodes like regular
>sensor a  constant voltage of 0.5 +-0.2 is  applied and current
>measured. The graphs show:
>a/f	 current (mA)
>11	-12
>12	-11
>13	-6
>14	-2
>14.5 	0
>16	3
>18	7
>23	13

Very promising; I dumped those numbers into excel and what I see doesn't
look very kinky at all. Each of the two legs on either side stoich look
like they could easily be linearized with a few segments of piecewise
linear opamp approximation. Both legs look like they have significant
spans/segments of almost linear shape, until you get fairly far away
from stoich. These days with 4 opamps per chip, it takes only a few
parts to match the curve if it's nice and reasonable, like this one
appears to be, judging from just the numbers above. Good summary. Geez,
feast or famine. Now it looks like we might have 3 candidates, the
Bosch, the NTK, and now the ND!

Now the real question; I couldn't tell from your review comments just
how Temp sensitive these curves are likely to be. That appears to be the
only possible fly in the ointment; it sounded like Temp maybe wasn't
much an issue. Is that correct? If so, this sensor approaches the "too
good to be true" category. Simple, fairly linear on either leg, there's
gotta be a gotcha, unless Miss Nature is suddenly and unusually charmed
by our presence, and want's to "help" us. Heh, NAH!

Garfield the cynic

P.S. Anyone have ANY clue as to a part no. for this ND wonder? I guess I
lead a sheltered life; dunno what an LEV Toy car even IS. Is it their
new anti-gravity model, that LEVitates? OK, it was just a wild guess.