Wide Ratio O2 meter

ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV
Thu Mar 12 16:21:19 GMT 1998

Garfield,

I am well aquainted with the nerst equation, spending ten
years doing simulation of batteries.  What we have in the
oxygen sensor is what we call a concentration cell, where
as you mentioned, the voltage is a function of the differences
in the concentrations.

What I don't understand is the part about an "ion pump" that
runs electrically.  We must agian be talking about a solid
oxygen conducting oxide.  Are you saying you can run one
of these high temp solid oxide concentration cells backwards,
i.e. pump electricicty into it and move a fixed and controllable
number of xygen ions?  Kinda like a thermocouple versus a peltier
device I guess, eh matey?

paul timmerman