EGT bits

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Mar 12 21:10:44 GMT 1998

>I don't think I'm ready for surface mount just yet. I hate it when a
>mere sneeze can ruin your whole layout. Hee. [yes, I do use solder
>paste, but it's gotta dry, AND my sneezes can be pretty gross].

I've tried surface mount technology, and found there are a few tricks.
First, like the other gent stated - a good table mount (preferably lighted
with halogen) magnifying glass makes all the difference.

Most of the time, I use an el-cheapo 25W Radio shack iron plugged into a
incandescent dimmer, and use really thin solder.  I've found grinding the
tips to a pin-point (and re-tin of course) allows work in tight places, and
minimal spill over of solder onto other leads.  Solder paste works much
better, but solder is not that bad either... though I must admit I waste a
lot of it with the vaccum solder-sucker.

Oh, and try some sudafed <Grin>

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car