EGT sensor life

Charles cmorris at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 12 23:24:55 GMT 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:15:40 -0500, you wrote:

>>How many hours do the egt sensors last?
>
>Golly, good question. I don't recall ever hearing of someone replacing
>one "routinely" as a consumable. They go bad every now and then, of
>course.

	I have a thermocouple in the exhaust manifold of my BMW 745i,
upstream of the turbo. It's a 1/8" diameter stainless probe for quick
response times. They only seem to last about 40 hours though (the
sealed end burns right off). Temps are usually around 1200 F at
cruise, and as high as 1650 F with 15 psi boost. I've tried 321
stainless and Inconel, both give up eventually. At $40 apiece from
Omega Engineering, this is an expensive hobby...
-Charles