SMD Work

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Fri Mar 13 03:13:30 GMT 1998

>the squiniting of parts. Oh, get extra parts if possible, as them small
>things get away pretty easy. A nice clean, white work area is required! Now
>the 332 would be a bit more difficult...

I was just passing my workbench, and noticed one additional soldering tool
to recommend - a springed finger.  I made mine, and its nothing more than a
8" metal finger connected to a spring, which I put a large book (like a
useless Microsoft manual <G>) to hold larger surface mount chops down, such
as in the case of processors, where you don't really want to hold it with
your hands... you can get them pretty flat that way, and aside from working
well, the chips don't lean on the board.  Might as well be neat if you can,
makes for a more professional job.

Before I got the hang of soldering surface mount chips, I used to defeat
the purpose of them by soldering on solid copper electromagnet wire and
spacing the wire extensions .100" apart like the common dip packages.  Made
solderless breadboarding easier too :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car