PC's and EFI

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Tue Mar 17 18:11:41 GMT 1998

You guys and your software jokes!  You crack me up!  (Did any other mechanical
types understand it?  Uh, huh.  Me neither.)

Before you two get into a pissing contest to see who can piss higher up the PC
tree, let me try to deflect the conversation a little.  How hard would it be to
hook a laptop to a GM ecm directly to the eprom to develop the various maps and
flags for tuning a custom engine setup?  The idea is to avoid having to pull and
replace the prom chip for every small change.  The idea would be to feed the ecm
with data out of the laptop until the prom maps are nailed down, then burn the
prom from the file in the laptop.

The configuration of the prom chips I have seen are 24 and 28 pins.  The parallel
port has 25 pins or so (25, 26, whatever it takes). I'm guessing this might
reguire a separate board if a lead for each pin of the prom is required.

And I'm sure some software is required.

Whatyathink?  This inquiring mechanical mind wants to know.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban