Data Logging

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Tue Mar 17 19:52:16 GMT 1998

>so that I can log everything, i.e. all the ECM inputs and outputs as well
>as wheel speeds, suspension travel, and whatever else I can think of
>putting some electronics on, for say 30 to 45 minutes of runtime.

IN a nutshell, if you are building a system from scratch, logging is not
necessarily a big deal.  The data is flowing into the ECM anyway... its a
matter of building a history _somewhere_.  This is where the problem
lies... while hard drives (to quote Bob: $100 for a 2 gig drive) you could
store enormous amounts of data.  But... will the drive survive bumps, 1G
turns, jumps, or worse case scenarios - a crash, where you'd definately
want the data to see what went wrong.

If its a PC drive, no.  But their are alternatives, ram drives, which
replace the rotating media (disks) with memory.  Problem is, they aren't
cheap.

What's been done in the racing industry for years... especially on the Indy
F1 cars... is telemetry.  Basically, the ECM that processes all the data to
run the car, transmits everything through a radio transmitter.  A radio
reciever collects the info, and stores it on "regular gear", whether a PC
or something custom.  The idea is, the logging PC or system is in a trailer
in the pit area of the race track.  Buick, Ford, Chevy, Olds, Jag, Ferrari
and many others have been doing this since electronics appeared.

Since you put a 45 minute time limit on your logging of data - I've gotten
the impression you are on a track during that time, whereas a trailer with
an antenna in the pit area might serve you well.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car