PICs??

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hpnfssvr.mdhc.mdc.com
Tue Mar 17 23:47:05 GMT 1998

Tony Cooper wrote:

> Hi Bruce - long time no type.....
>
> Ok, We are just finishing the AIC that I promised earlier this year (I
> think). I would recomend the AVR device you mentioned, or even the next
> one up - the 2313. I have used both PIC's and the AVR, and IMHO the AVR
> knocks spots of the PIC. The complete development system is free of
> charge, the devices can be progammed with a 50 (UK pound) programming
> system, and they are reasonably cost effective. also they do 1mips per
> mhz. There will apparently be a 20mhz versions available soon.
>
> Use the 1200 or the 2313 they are good

What does one need to get started with the AVR chips?  I found a couple
sites that sell development systems (questlink.com and kanda-systems.com),
but they seem to include different hardware (or at least called the same
things different names).  Are these really different?  Which would you
suggest for a Win95 development system?

Assuming these two are the same thing, the only other thing I'd want is
the IAR C compilier.  What's that cost?

thanks
--Dan
houlster at bigfoot.com