PICs??

Tony Cooper tony.cooper at virgin.net
Wed Mar 18 16:55:02 GMT 1998

d houlton x0710 wrote:

> Tony Cooper wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bruce - long time no type.....
> >
> > Ok, We are just finishing the AIC that I promised earlier this year (I
> > think). I would recomend the AVR device you mentioned, or even the next
> > one up - the 2313. I have used both PIC's and the AVR, and IMHO the AVR
> > knocks spots of the PIC. The complete development system is free of
> > charge, the devices can be progammed with a 50 (UK pound) programming
> > system, and they are reasonably cost effective. also they do 1mips per
> > mhz. There will apparently be a 20mhz versions available soon.
> >
> > Use the 1200 or the 2313 they are good
>
> What does one need to get started with the AVR chips?  I found a couple
> sites that sell development systems (questlink.com and kanda-systems.com),
> but they seem to include different hardware (or at least called the same
> things different names).  Are these really different?  Which would you
> suggest for a Win95 development system?
>
> Assuming these two are the same thing, the only other thing I'd want is
> the IAR C compilier.  What's that cost?

Ok Dan, first things first.

The assembler and simulator can be found at
ftp://www.atmel.com/pub/atmel/avr.exe

the full debugging simulator (Even simulates interupts on the fly!!!!)
can be found at
ftp://www.atmel.com/pub/atmel/astudio.exe

plus there is loadsa of source code examples at this site (Software
UARTS, multiply-divide routines, that sorta thing.)

These are both excellent starting points.
The Kanda programming system is the one we are using (Ithink, although
it is re-badged as coming from ATMEL) and is very good. It will program
all the AVR devices, as well as the ATMEL 8051 equivalents!!!!!! all for
45 uk pounds (I think the price has dropped since I bought our
system!!!!)

There is a version of the IAR 'C' compiler which is available FREE of
charge, I am currently chasing this up from my ATMEL dealer - when I get
some news I will email a respoince.

TTFN
Tony

--
Sent By Tony Cooper.
email: tony.cooper at virgin.net
Allow at least 10 working minutes for reply. ;)