PC's and EFI

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Mar 19 03:08:33 GMT 1998

>can be done with that type of hardware, but why? To do something as simple as
>multi-channel PWM control and that sort of nice port level control on a PC or
>any generic processor will require work. On the other hand, I can go out and

I guess my point was not that clear - you are right.  Using a PIC,
microcontroller (pick one), would be a lot easier than interfacing a PC.
But, the PC has several advantages - for me at least - I know them well, I
don't have to silkscreen boards (for a change), and I can code in something
I'm familiar with (Visual _something_).

This enables someone like me with a 1:45 commute each way to work, the
ability to compile, and somewhat test the code on a laptop, then dump the
final version (or test version) into the actualy ECM, which runs the same
Intel platform, with hardware differences.  Makes development "on the fly"
quite nice.

Plus, I want to drive several LCD displays (small 4"x6" color displays).  I
admit I like the cute stuff.  I figured since i'm building the whole car
from scratch, why not make it pretty inside as well.

>etc, the whole thing is just wrong. The PC104 boards are another story, but
>will find that the cost is much more then the dedicated processor cards.

True.  But my arguement was that "I'm" comfortable with the PC platform.  I
wasn't trying to convert everyone, just a select few <Grin>.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car