PC warz or EFI_332 Not

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Mar 19 03:08:36 GMT 1998

>clue.  Fred and I have little true differences and the discussion brings out
>more options.

Sounds like it - similar backgrounds from different experiences... kewl.

>My dislike of the PC104 comes from actual experience.  On my last project at
>a major aerospace company, they chose to use a brand x PC104 system for

This is one of the bigger differences - when it comes to PC104, I'll be the
first to admit I'm a hobbyist.  I've experimented with them, and while they
are more expensive and more custom than a generic serial card, they sure
are small.  Plus, I didn't have to build a switching power supply to create
the negative supply lines (Oh Bob, still waiting for that schematic <Grin>).

>of under the "bonnet" because of heat, electrical noise (spark plugs
>generate an electrical fire storm no matter what the resistance wire
>manufactures say).

Absolutely agree.

>smarts to control the parameters the semi-stupid thing uses to do its real
>time thing.

Good point - you're following he keep it simple stupid theory - certainly
been proven to be a good one.

>PICS.  In the car, it will be controlled by a laptop - in my RV by a
>desktop.  Using the best of both worlds.

Well, you are still leaving me with one valid argument - its familiar
technology for the masses, and one who knows a high level language like
what they use at work, could use the PC to make it happen.

Oh, and I never said it was the solution to every problem, just potentially
the solution for mine :)  Though I am almost completed a 68HC -based ecm
design.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car