Drysump/Turbo

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Fri Mar 20 05:31:04 GMT 1998

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:10:42 -0500 "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
writes:
>One of the things I've never done is plumb a street car for
>a dry sump.  There does seem to be some concern amoungst
>some wheither gerotor, or spur gear is best, amongst some
>engine builders.  Some of the topics were
>  Spur more "forgiving" for particle matter
>  Gerotor most likely to "freeze" from particle matter.
>  Being multistaged more likely to suffer from the above, and
>     mysteriouly pitch a belt.
>  I'd seriously consider an "accusump" for pre-oiling the system.
>  Been years but at one time recall a series of bearing failures
>    on a developement engine that turned out to be a priming
>    problem..
>  One big advantage is being able to "over-rate" the scavege
>    section, and actually draw a vacuum in the crankcase, which
>    helps the ring seal.
>HTH  Bruce     Win Friends and Influence People, send a Cone
>                         Shaped Hat to your Boss, with no card..(or
>better
>                         yet give credit to your best friend
>{wink/grin})..

A dry sump system would also be great in a 4X4.  One of the reasons I
went with FI is to get rid of the whole float bowl mess.

I installed an engine pre-luber so that I wouldn't be starting my engine
dry.  The pre-luber also runs after the engine is shut down.  This keeps
oil from baking in the passages.  It would be really useful if I had a
turbo.

I was thinking of setting up the pre-luber with multiple inputs so that
oil could be pumped into the engion at any orientation where the wheels
are touching something.  I haven't had the problem of losing oil pressure
yet, though.

By the way, the oil pumped in at the base of the oil filter.

Ray Drouillard