PCbased vs dedicated

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Sat Mar 21 00:30:03 GMT 1998

I had this sent to me today from one of my surplus contacts
these may be what you were looking for to produce a small ECU using
pc based parts.  I would pick them up if there is any interest
Notice the G ratings and the power ratings they require.
Would be perfect for our uses.
Cost should be in the $ 100 range each

Clive

For Sale: (8) DEC EMB34-PA Single Board computers

This is a single board computer manufactured for DEC by Pro-Log (who
have since been acquired by Motorola).  Complete kit consists of board,
keyboard-mouse adapter, 512K burst mode cache COAST module.  They are
brand-new.  Socket 7 accepts any classic Pentium from a P90 thru a
P200.  Documentation may be downloaded from
http://www.digital.com/oem/library/docs/tdocs.htm , hardcopy manual
EK-A0928-UG.A02.

Here is what DEC has to say about these boards at
http://www.europe.digital.com/oem/products/modcomp/modintel.htm

Intel Pentium SBCs

Features

Pentium single-board computers (SBCs) using 133	MHz, 166 MHz, and 200
MHz processors
512 KB standard Bcache memory
Supports up to 256 MB main memory
Supports FPM, EDO, and ECC memory
Triton II PCI chipset
Flash BIOS
PCI (32-bit) interface
Two high speed serial ports
One bidirectional parallel port with DMA
Floppy disk interface supporting drives up to 2.88 MB
Extended Integrated Drive Electronics (EIDE) hard disk interface
Real-time clock with on-board battery backup
Keyboard, mouse, speaker, and reset ports
Watchdog timer

Description

The Intel Pentium SBCs offer Pentium processors with a range of clock
speeds up to 200 MHz.  These PICMG-compliant SBCs support Microsoft's
MS-DOS, Windows, and Windows NT  operating systems, and Wind River
Systems' VxWorks operating system. The basic I/O system (BIOS) on the
SBCs has been specifically configured for DMCC and is bundled with the
SBC.

You can purchase Intel Pentium SBCs as individual line items or buy
them integrated with the DMCC building blocks.

Specifications

Specification category
                       Intel Pentium SBC implementation
   Processor           3.3 V Pentium 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz
   Form factor         PICMG standard full length AT (two slots wide)
                       (34.1 x 12.7cm/13.415 x 4.80")
   Interrupts          14 ISA, 12 PCI
   Clock/calendar      Real-time clock backed by on-board lithium
battery
   Watchdog timer      Software programmable
   Dynamic RAM         8 MB to 256 MB on-board via four 72-pin SIMM
sockets for 70 ns SIMMs (36 bit); FPM, EDO, and ECC memory supported
   Cache               512 KB standard cache writeback/write-through,
insertable module
   System ROM          Contains custom flash BIOS
   External connections
                       Floppy and dual EIDE (shrouded headers)
                       Bidirectional parallel port (shrouded headers)
                       Serial port 1 (shrouded headers)
                       Serial port 2 (shrouded headers)
                       PS/2 keyboard (mini DIN to I/O panel)
                       Keyboard (10-pin header)
                       Speaker (shrouded headers)
                       Reset (shrouded headers)
                       Hard drive LED (shrouded headers)
   Environment         Temperature: 0° to 50°C operating, -40° to 65°C
non-operating
                       Humidity: 5% to 95%, 40°C non-condensing
                       Shock: 1.5G/10ms operating, 30G/10ms
non-operating
                       Vibration: 1.5G to 0.5G at 3 to 200Hz
operating, 5G at 5 to 100Hz