PC's and EFI

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Sat Mar 21 19:32:07 GMT 1998

>> Plus, I want to drive several LCD displays (small 4"x6" color displays).
>Man... I want to see this!  I've always wondered what the "Ideal" user
>interface was for extreme hobbyists ;)

Hey TJ!

My ideal interface is partially purchased.  It consists of four "surplus"
320x240x16k LCD backlit panels.  I just have to figure out how to drive
them, as if it was one VGA panel (640x480), and place them in a row.  This
way, I can "draw" analog or digital gauges on a whim.  Want strange colors?
 Feel free.  One of them also has a clear matrix switch on its surface,
therefore that particular unit becomes the message center quite
effectively.  Draw buttons and just touch the display.

That's my ideal interface :)  Actually, choice number two.  Number one was
"heads up" but I couldn't get it to work right.  I used an LCD projector
and just aimed it at my other car's windshield - didn't really work,
especially in the day.

The quest now is to build an EFI system that supports this... hence my
strong desire to use PC based processor boards.  Creating an embedded
system using a 68HC would be out of my realm quite honestly.

However, I have plenty of time... have the OEM setup that works, and just
started putting the chassis together, so its not like I have to decide this
immediately.
Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car