DIS Explainations

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Mon Mar 23 05:28:32 GMT 1998

Clint Corbin wrote:

> At 02:26 PM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Are the plugs wired in series?  How is this accomplished?  Since the
> >outer electrodes of all the plugs are grounded to the block, I was
> >assuming that they were wired in parellel.
> >
> >To wire them in series, we would not be able to use the standard
> >autotransformer.  Instead, the secondary would have to float.  Also, the
> >direction of the current would have to be reversed based on which plug is
> >to be fired, since the plugs are designed to work with a specific
> >polarity.
> >
> >Ray Drouillard
>
> Their are two coil towers per coil.  There are in series on the
> wasted spark system.  Any yes, the polarity is reversed for each
> pair of plugs.  I think it was Buick that used a platinum tiped plug
> with platinum on both the center electrode and the ground just
> because of the reversed polarity.  They wanted 100000 mile
> plug changes, so....
>
> Clint

  I think that 100K plugs are pretty much standard now, for Chev and Olds.
Platinum tips and centers, and some get .060 gap.  They're wired in series in
waste spark systems.  The block just happens to be a handy conductor between
the paired plugs.  Also, some mechanics tell stories about self induced
driveability problems caused by reversing the plugs in the holes after they've
been run for a while.
Never had the problem myself.
Shannen