Water Injection (Was: Re: Wide Ratio O2)

Andris Skulte askulte at emerald.tufts.edu
Tue Mar 24 05:47:43 GMT 1998

Zack wrote:

> What causes the erosion?  Are the water droplets eroding the turbine
> blade just from their mechanical impact against the turbine blade,

Exactly. If you had steam already, it would be fine, but the problem is
accelerating the water droplets instantly. This is why steam turbines
always try to run with close to 100% steam. The water droplets
physically wear the blades... I assume with a pull-through turbo, the
fuel is already vaporized?

Andris (thermo class is actually good for something!) Skulte