Water Injection (Was: Re: Wide Ratio O2)

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Tue Mar 24 08:53:01 GMT 1998

This water injection does work a treat.  I performance developer that I
know uses water instead of bigger intercoolers.  What does he know? well
he drives his 200+bhp 1.4 liter engined car 100-200 miles to a track
races all day and drives it home, without removing his cone shaped hat!
He runs 28psi of pressure, on an engine with a comp ratio a little over
8:1.

What has been found is that the water seems to help the spark discharge
better, and temperatures are cooler all over the engine.

On removing the head after several thousand miles, the combustion
chamber and pistons were coke free, they looked cleaner than when they
were fitted ( steam cleaned?).

Water injection helps you pass emission tests.  Lean your mixture a
little before you go to the testing station, and ensure the water is
being injected all the time.

The one problem I can see with water injection is that of rust.  What I
would like to do is get one of the Bosch fuel pumps that can be shimmed
to give 150psi, and use an injector. trouble is that these will probably
rust unless I run some anti freeze as well.

Rob Humphris

If you are thinking of using a cone shaped hat for water injection, make
sure it isn't a paper one.