Water Injection (Was: Re: Wide Ratio O2)

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Tue Mar 24 14:32:28 GMT 1998

Sorry, I had better put my previous post into some context, water
injection that I have experienced is only any good for Turbo
applications, injecting water does impare total power output, but what
it allows is more boost to be run without detonation, so even more boost
can be run thus overcoming the slight power loss, to summize; injecting
water is one step backwards, but the cooling it provides allows you to
take three steps forwards, which means that on aggregate to are two
steps ahead...

Injection is started at anything over standard boost, by way of the
overboost pressure switch that most of these turbo cars have.

I an NormAsp engine I would be tempted to fit a switch on the throttle,
which at full throttle would inject ethanol into the engine.  Ethanol
gives good power and is not mixture sensitive like petrol... it would
help with overtaking!

Rob