Advantages of spark+fuel vs fuel only?

Carter Hendricks carterh at crl.com
Wed Mar 25 15:40:09 GMT 1998

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Gary Derian wrote:

> The Miura SV I worked on way back in the 70's sure seemed to have fixed
> timing.

...only because it was broken...

  It had 2 distributors mounted horizontally as you described.  I
> disassembled them to diagnose an ignition problem and found no advance
> mechanism.

...underneath the plate where the twin points are mounted. Big machined
weights, helical springs, rollers, neat stuff [and used on most Italian
exotica].

> I later tried this on my Cosworth Vega with good results.  On
> the Cosworth, I used 32 degrees fixed.  Never had a pinging problem and it
> ran much better.  I am not claiming that this is an optimum solution, but
> lots of cam makes an engine need lots of low speed advance.

But of course the Lambo, ev n the SV, doesn't have a lot of cam. A lot of
carbs, pistons, valves... but not alot of cam.

						--Carter