Injector shapes and spray patterns

Matthew B. Watts mwatts at facility.cs.utah.edu
Fri Mar 27 06:06:10 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Plecan <nacelp at bright.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: Injector shapes and spray patterns

>ref Dan, and spray patterns:

>Years ago did alot of work with one engine with down drafts vs
>side draft, got the same HP having the fuel "bounce off" a
>vertical wall prior to the intake plenum.  Never did make sense
>just worked.

I did some work with spray nozzles several years back trying to
find an optimum droplet size.  We used lasers and all kinds of
gadgets to determine what the nozzle was really doing.  The best
one that we came up with sprayed a solid stream directly at a
pinpoint cone that had nearly a 45 degree angle on it.  One of the
engineers termed it the splattering effect.  It converted the liquid
into 99.6% 300 micron size droplets if I remember correctly.
With some compressed air it actually did worse.  Didn't get a
chance to snag one to try on an engine, but I'd bet it'd do wonders.

Matt
______