Cams timing and all that

Fitzgearld, Fredric fredric.fitzgearld at intel.com
Fri Mar 27 18:12:14 GMT 1998

WOW, I think I can actually contribute something, here.

It is true that advancing the cam will give you more "Grunt".  It's a
common thing to do for those of us that are "Rock Crawlers".  The whole
power/torque band of the engine moves down the RPM range.  And that's
fine for us because we rarely see anything over 4500-5000 RPM.

Now, we get to the argument: how much is too much?  I personally have
run some cams as much as 8 deg advanced.  Generally, 4 deg is the agreed
maximum.  But then again, it depends on the cam, and the application.

I haven't had that much experience with boosting, but I suspect that you
will have a big problem getting any usable torque from off idle to about
1500-2000 rpm.  Then again, you may not care about that range.  If you
have a torque converter with a stall for 2K you'll never see that range,
anyway.

But then again, What do you want to do with the vehicle???  If it will
see a lot of street use, you may want to reconsider building the engine
for the 5K-7K RPM range.  If your hiway RPM is about 2700-3200 RPM, and
you have a 2000-2500 stall, the tranny will be slipping the whole time
you're on the hiway.

One other thing, Some of ht after-market, stockish, timing sets have
built it cam timing that has been retarded for emissions.  To really set
the cam timing you will need to find TRUE TDC and use an index wheel.
But then you probably knew that.

With what I know about boosting, which is not too much, I would get the
engine set up to run in the RPM I want, then try to add more boost to
the lower RPM range to cover the "void".  Then again, it all depends on
what the engine is used for.

Then again, Maybe I can't help at all.   :)

FEF