Daydreaming at Cone Shaped Hat Headquarters

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Fri Mar 27 21:02:41 GMT 1998

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Bruce Plecan wrote:
> From: Gregory A. Parmer <gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu>
> >Does anyone know of a list of which controllers are
> >in which cars?
>
> Better yet what do you want to do?.  What engine?.  All the details
> please.

I want to learn enough about a system to control it and use it.
Doesn't really matter what system since I haven't bought one.
The sweetheart is a 1971 Camaro with a carb-ed 283, but that's
a later story.  The 400 has been indefinitely postponed due to
many other factor$...Depending on my comfort factor I would rather
deal with the 307 I have sitting in the floor during testing. The
only consistent part of my picture is a SB Chebby, and if I
am familiar enough to retrofit my 71 then the Chebby part
won't be a factor either.

I also have a CFI manifold, but it's usefulness is probably
limited to what I've already gotten out of it (learning a
little about transistors, LM1949s, and confidence building).
It has some very small ports and folks say the CFI has poor
fuel distribution and atomization anyways...

I *expect* to do the same as most others I'm sure:
Collect a junkyard EFI system. Install it. Monitor it. Change
it. Use it.
I *want* to use a PC to display RealTime info (if this works
the gauges are unnecessary!).

Consequently, my major concerns are 1) $$ 2) availability
3) tools available 4) time required 5) interface speed.

> >Also...what competitors are there to Rinda Tech's
> >Diacomm software for monitoring the GM ECU?  Any
> >feedback about Diacomm?
> Linder has a scann tool for $150  Lindertech at juno.com

The Linder tool I found (at http://www.lindertech.com) also
did Ford and Chrysler products, but was $249.  I s'pose
that's less than the $299 GM scanner from Rinda Technologies
(http://www.mcs.net/~rinda/auto/auto.htm). I'm listening
about the $150 version...

That's it for the EFI stuff.

FYI -- and Joe, the other 2nd generation Camaro guy!!
The 71 has new quarters and rear valence, 'glass hood, tilt front
end, '92 Z28 wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, roll cage,
5 pt harnesses, and a number of replacement body parts from
the "recycle yard" (doors, trunk lid, lenses, etc).
The engine is a stoneage performance 283 with Accell mech
dizzy, Mallory dizzy, Crane Fireball cam, Rhoads lifters,
and a Carter AFB carb backed by a close-ratio Muncie.
The underside is all fit to eat off of, but I sure hope
it's never upside down!  :)  BTW--I only do my own work,
so it's a very slow process.

Why did you ever ask for details??
-greg