Cams timing and all that

ken mercury at iserv.net
Sat Mar 28 01:42:34 GMT 1998

Robert Humphris wrote:

> Some while back someone wrote that advancing cam timing improved low end
> response.
>
> Now I know that this will result in loss at high end, probably peak
> torque will move down the rev range please could someone confirm this?
>
> The crux of the matter is this:  I am gonna run my engine at 7.5:1 as I
> want to run silly ammounts of boost.  To help eliminate lag, I was
> thinking of running a whole load of ignition advance, and advancing the
> cam to give me a tractable ammount of low end off boost.  No I know that
> a gain in one area comes with a fall in another... so what pit fall am I
> going to get here?
> Is the engine going to get upset with the cam timing and refuse to rev
> above a certain level? or is there something I just cannot see yet?
>
> Rob Humphris

  adjusting the cam will rock the power curve up or down.  the direction
you move it will affect where it goes,advanced will bring the power
curve down,retarding it will move it up in the rpm band,generally you
will make roughly the same power,just in a different area.(it will
sometimes rock 1000 rpm up or down)
 a bad (stretched) timing chain will always move the power band
up,makeing a car that used to cruise comfortably at 60,cruise at 70
instead.
  the power stays,it's just where it's located that changes.

 at 7.5 to one,that's going to need boost on almost all the time won't
it?
merc.