Motorcycle EFI? [was: cam timing}

Fitzgearld, Fredric fredric.fitzgearld at intel.com
Mon Mar 30 16:39:16 GMT 1998

When I was racing motorcycles, we would advance the intake cam one
tooth.  That brought some very interesting results.  It sure made the
bottom end more noticeable.  The 1/4 mile time didn't change but the 1/8
mile and 0-70 time went down IF I could keep the tire from spinning.

But how would cam timing change the requirements for EFI???  Isn't the
fuel still delivered at the same time, at the same amount?

Now, Am I too naive to think that I can find a small car engine with
about the same specs, make an adapter (or new intake manifold), and
mount the EFI to the bike engine?  Depending on the donor vehicle, I may
be able to put the distributor on the bike, too.  In my case it's a
1075cc, 4 cylinder, Kawasaki that puts out about 125 Hp.

I know that it will take some time to work out the mechanical bugs but I
can do that.  It's the software that I'm worried about.  What are the
odds that my custom, one of a kind, PROM gets fried and I can't find
another one.  If it was a stock chip, it should be easier to get.

It might be a waste.  The bike moves very well now with 4 carbs and
points.  I just thought it might be a nice project.

Any comments, or suggestions?

TIA,

FEF