Motorcycle EFI? [was: cam timing}

Dave J. Andruczyk dave at scarlet.buffalostate.edu
Mon Mar 30 17:15:21 GMT 1998

> I know a person that I went to school who had a first generation Honda
> CRX.  He supposedly retarded the cam by installing the timing belt with
> an offset of one tooth.  He said this gave it a definite improvement in
> high end as well as an overall increase in output.  Has anyone ever done
> this, or heard of this being done on similar cars?

Well I did a simple test on my 1979, (single Overhead cam 2.0 liter) By
setting the cam timing at stock, and setting signtion at stock,  the
engine has its strongest pull from 3500-5500 RPM's
	when setting cam timing off one tooth, the curve moved down atbout
1500 RPM,s so that max seat-of-your-pants power was felt from 2000-4000
RPM,  moving the cam the "other" direction from stock by one tooth, made
the power band shift up to about 5000+ ( I won't rev the motor over 6200
RPM),
igntion timing was set at STOCK for all tests. No fuel modifications were
made.  the engine has bosch K-jetronic (CIS inhjection) with NO feedback.

I am currently trying to design a variable valve timing system that will
automatically advance the cam timing throughout the RPM band, so as to
stretch  the power curve out from 2000 to 5000+.  My main problem is the
cam driven distributor which I am hoping to remove with the advent of the
EFI332 system. ( ignition part..)

Dave