Mileage with a Motor Home

Bernie Jacobsen bcjac at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 30 18:13:17 GMT 1998

The only torque curves I have are off the Gale Banks lit. (sales brochure),
so its reliability is automatically in question, but the curve (stock 454,
no headers) shows a peak torque of 342 Ft.Lb @ 1800   and about 310 @ 2800.

I want to get more reliable data!
My plan as of now,  is to run the GB headers cruising at about 2700-2800
and check mileage. The next step is to lower the cruising rpm with OD (found
one used for $400) and torque converter.

Point well taken on the lugging issue.
On the flats, I am running 15-17" vacuume, which seems pretty good to me, so
OD may still be in the acceptable range of the motor. ALSO, one thing I did
not mention: I'm counting on OD to lower interior noise because of lower
engine speed,  so mpg is not the only issue with the cruising rpm

^Bernie

>> 4.10 on the rear.   I'm considering a Doug Nash (US Gear) OD unit for the
>> tranny tail section, .67 OD, I think.  I am also considering a "close
spaced
>> torque converter" (less clearence between the blade sets... lower
stall[?])

>> I am planning on using coated headers with 1.75" X 43" (!) primaries.
This