Cams timing and all that

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Mon Mar 30 18:40:43 GMT 1998

Bernie Jacobsen wrote:

> What is the 2800 rpm number based on?  Do you have BSFC curves? Where did
> you get them?
>
> ^Bernie
>
> >> On gasoline engines???  where can I  get BSFC curves for gas engines (454
> Chev)?
>
> >Maximum fuel mileage on a stock 454 will be acheived at 2800RPM - which
> >is the max torque RPM for the engine. on the 350 diesel, it would be
> >1600rpm
> >--
> >                               _/\_
> >                       --|-----([])-----|--
> >                         S    0/  \0    B
> >         Alls well that ends well!! www.snyder.on.ca is back
> >                  E-Mail service is back to normal
> >                  To avoid bouncing E-Mail messages
> >                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
> >                                OR
> >Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
> >spammers!!!
> >It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
> >Turkeys!!!

Past experience shows that maximum fuel economy is produced at Max
Torque output. This is, of course, dependent to a degree on aero drag
etc, but believe it or not, with a long-geared '76 Celica GT, better
fuel mileage was attained at peak torque RPM in 4th than in 5th at the
same road speed. To get maximum economy in fifth, super-legal speeds
were required, as below peak torque RPM the engine lugged, with low
manifold vacuum, and resulting heavy fuel consumption. Best run was
roughly 200miles at something over 80mph 2am one sunday morning -
46MPG+. Average mileage was less than 30MPG. The 77 had steeper gears -
was harder on gas overall, but less difference between 4th and 5th gear
economy. The engine did not have to work as hard (lug) at normal highway
speeds in 5th.
--
                               _/\_