Water/Akly Inj Recipe

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Sat May 2 11:46:12 GMT 1998

>To "look" for a dud injector, try getting a piece of PVC or poly' pipe, and
>pointing the end at each injector, respectively. You should hear the ticking
>noise if it is in good order. if you hear more of a thudding noise, the
>injector is either no good, or it is blocked...

I have a small collection of junkyard injectors, in sets of six, based on
their flow.  While I used gasoline for this test, its been suggested by
smarter folks that I had used other non-volitile substances for below test.

I have a 50A power supply, I made a simple circuit consisting of a 50A
power transistor, a resistor, and a parallel port connector.  I connected
the six injectors to a fuel rail/fuel pump which the in-tank pump sits in a
bucket of gasoline (or non-volitile substance).  I use a DOS noteboook to
pulse the transistor, which then pulses the injectors, which then fill up
six large, narrow beakers.  After one of them reach near the top of the
beaker fuel level wise, I stop and evaluate the other injectors.  Injectors
that flow about the same, got grouped together.

For beakers, I used those 7-day holiday candles, which are pyrex glass
about 3" wide and about a foot high, minus the candle wax.  (After you use
the candles up, you put the candle glass into a pot of stove-heated water,
and the wax comes right out, and they are about 2 bucks a pop, and less
hassle than ordering anything from Edmunds Scientific.

Instead of a PC parallel port, you could use a 555-timer set for a 50% duty
cycle.

I got the idea from one of the many car magazines... I saw an article on
injectors, and how they blueprint and measure the flow.  So, I slapped some
stuff together and simulated the basic idea.

Also, if you are going for the junkyard thing, try to find cars that have
been recently added to the junkyard pile...vehicles that have been sitting
for a long time usually have corroded injectors, which wastes your time.

Hope I helped.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-