Return of the diy_EGOmeter (YES, it's finally ALIVE!!)

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Sun May 3 23:23:09 GMT 1998

On Sun, 3 May 1998 18:28:17 -0400 (EDT), "Clive Apps   Techno-Logicals
416 510 0020" <clive at problem.tantech.com> wrote:

>why not use a small gas engine for the belchometer
>you can rig a custom exhaust in a matter of hours to fit
>a 5-10hp waterpump engine and tinker with the carb adj to test mixtures
>most of these engines will run from 20-10:1 on mixture
>and you cna get this control level at the carb adj screw
>this would be the range we would want to look at anyways

That's a nice idea. Wish I or Frank has such a lil beasty to use as a
lab rat. Sorta a Baby Dragon Burp generator. I'm a townie, and all my
gardening machinery is electric, including my lawnmower!

BTW, lest this thread spawn a whole lotta suggestions on how we might do
the testing, lemme just tell ya I think we've got that taken care of.
It's just likely to take a couple more weeks. I just got a note from
Frank, and it sounds like one solution IS on the horizon. We'll keep ya
posted.

I have a theory on why we had such trouble with the propane; my guess is
it's not the fuel, of course, but the type of burner. Most of them
operate on a venturi that has a sorta automatic metering built into the
fact that the pressure of the gas determines the induced airflow in the
venturi, so it's kinda hard to vary the AFR very much, you reduce the
amount of gas, and you reduce the amount of air. Course they do have
provision for adjusting the opening by which air enters the venturi, but
to a large extent, if you increase the vacuum in the venturi, that just
increases the velocity of the air thru the inlet; maybe OK for tweaking,
but not the best method for effecting *large* swings in mixture.

Gar