High MPG

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Mon May 4 14:28:54 GMT 1998

>Something you mentioned: I know of Charles Nelson Pogue's "200 MPG carb."
>And I know about the chemistry of how it worked, and why its results were
>not very reliable (I know more about the chemistry of it than he did at the
>time - but this doesn't take much). Asside from this, Pogue stated in an

Unfortunately, these kind of devices and technology are basically bandaids
to a much greater problem, one of great inefficiency.  A pushrod engine is
about as ineffecient as an engine can get, however it does have its merits.
 I think once engineers start moving away from a 100 year old design,
things will definately get better mileage wise.  I don't have the URLs
handy, however there are two such engines that have strayed away from
pushrods, but replacing the rotating assembly with a giant Cam.  The cam,
instead of controlling valve timing, is driven by the pistons, which are
configured in a radial fashion.  The one engine that is running (and in the
internet), creates very little horsepower, however the torque it generates
phenominal as compared to its weight, size, and configuration.

I think pushrod engines waste something in the neighborhood of 80% of the
available power in the gasoline.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-