Patents

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Mon May 4 15:37:15 GMT 1998

This is probably a very good idea. I have not found anything like my idea in
Oz, on the patent record, however, I haven't had the time to look very far.
As for anything in the US - I haven't searched at all. Hoever, I do know
that a man in Canada tried to patent it (in Canada), but it was rejected, as
the patent rules changed part way through his application, and it made his
application void, and his idea was then public domain. I have worked my
device around his, only, I have put in another part to make it more
efficient (hence the refrigerants). If I can't find a suitable refrigerant,
the device is probably not patentable, as I only have a few small things in
it that he didn't have. It might be more worth my while to put copyright on
the parts that are mine, and make sure he has copyright on the parts that
are his (we have conversed back and forth, and he has taught me what he
knows, and I think it is fair to say that I have his permission to use his
idea, and extend it with my own, so I am not in breach of copyright by using
his idea in my device).

Danny Barrett.