High MPG

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Tue May 5 20:17:50 GMT 1998

Gary Derian wrote:

> Steve, when I said transmission losses, I meant electrical transmission from
> the power plant to your house.  By the way, your cost calculations don't

That's what I meant too.  Some electricity is lost between the power
plant and your house, it's the cost of getting power there.  Same for
fuel.  The truck that delivers fuel to the gas station burns fuel.  It's
the cost of getting it there.

> include the cost of the vehicle, who knows what the non-subsidized cost
> would be, or the cost of new batteries every year or two.

True, I left out the cost of the batteries.  It's built into the EV-1
lease, so who knows what it costs.  The point I was trying to make is
that in terms of buying gas versus buying electricity, the electric car
appears to be cheaper, in spite of the energy conversions along the
way.  Battery technology is bad right now, but it won't stay that way
for long.  Never bet against technology!  I'm not calling for the
elimination of gas cars.  But personally, for the daily commute, I'd
prefer the electric car and it's lower maintenance.

--
Steve Ravet
International Meta Systems
steve at imes.com