High MPG

John Napoli jgn at li.net
Tue May 5 22:35:21 GMT 1998

On Tue, 5 May 1998, steve ravet wrote:

> lease, so who knows what it costs.  The point I was trying to make is
> that in terms of buying gas versus buying electricity, the electric car
> appears to be cheaper, in spite of the energy conversions along the
> way.  Battery technology is bad right now, but it won't stay that way
> for long.  Never bet against technology!  I'm not calling for the
> elimination of gas cars.  But personally, for the daily commute, I'd
> prefer the electric car and it's lower maintenance.

Unfortunately, electricity is not that cheap for all of us.  We pay the
highest rates in the nation.  Electricity is so expensive here, that the
operational cost (ie, gas and maintenance) of my 15KW backup generator is
less per KWHr than the KWHr rate from my local utility.  For this reason,
electric cars are a bad idea here, even though a lot of the driving I do
would suit today's EV offerings to a 'T'.

John