Water injection and racing & more

Matthew Harding mharding at qonline.com.au
Wed May 6 14:37:38 GMT 1998

At 01:49  6/05/98 -0400, you wrote:
>if i want to Race in an Naturally Aspirated class, is water injection
considered a
>form of aspiration like Turbo, Super chargers, or NOS?
>--Jake Lindeke
>--SOGI South-East Chapter Coordinator
>--http://sesogi.bsfh.org

No, there are set formula for working out the "effective" capacity of
forced induction engine in any racing class...

eg trubo engines are considered to have a capacity 1.7 x the capacity of
the engine

no formula exists for water injection, and it is not often used.  I would
think there would be good reason for this too  :)

I pit for an EH Holden Appendix J race car (amongst other things)  and this
car is limited to only drum brakes all around, And cooling ducts alone were
not enough.  After taking notice at truck racing events we decided that
water injection directly onto the brake drums was the go, and it has proven
to be.  I would have rather injected through a fine spraying garden fitting
etc, at the opening of the air duct, so that the water would be vaporised
by the time it actually got to the drum/lining, and would rather cool the
air onto the brakes a little more.

any way, at the moment the driver has to manually push a switch mounted on
the steering wheel to get the water to squirt.  I had the idea of a simple
timer that would count the time the brake pedal was depressed for, and
after letting off the brake squirt the water for this same amount of time.

ie. the driver brakes for 3 seconds...  the water then squirts for 3 seconds

would any one be able to design a circuit like this, or have one that might
do the job?

your help would be greatly appreciated   :)